Posted on Mar 3, 2017 | 3 comments

After dealing with this invisible hazard for almost two years and finally being able to get a positive diagnosis, we are in the process of almost a total rehab of our house – from top to bottom. Extensive research, study and private-eye snooping, here is probably one of the best articles I’ve found on the subject. Mold is everywhere and no one is too clean to escape it!

MOLD

Mold has certainly made its way into people’s homes as well as the headlines recently.  Many people still don’t fully understand the health hazards of fungal exposure.  The term toxic mold is somewhat misleading as it exudes an idea that certain molds are toxic, when actually certain types of molds produce secondary metabolites that produce toxins.  The correct term is mycotoxins.  Airborne mycotoxins can definitely destroy one’s health. Sometimes, people are unaware that they are breathing mold spores and mycotoxins until they are very sick. Certain people have a minor allergic reactions to the some molds,  but once you leave the affected area they most likely recover with few serious side effects. However, if they have been exposed to the dangerous molds such as Stachybotrys or Chaetomium, they could suffer from a myriad of serious symptoms and illnesses such as chronic bronchitis, learning disabilities, mental deficiencies, heartproblems, cancer, multiple sclerosis, chronic fatigue, lupus, fibromyalgia, rheumatoid arthritis, multiple chemical sensitivity, bleeding lungs and much more.

The molds that produce airborne toxins that can cause serious symptoms, such as breathing difficulties, memory and hearing loss, dizziness, flu-like symptoms, and acid reflux. Common ailments from toxigenic mold—including allergies (hypersensitivity after initial toxicity), and excessive bruising—usually can be treated and reduced after people leave their contaminated environment. Often medication, diet, and other treatment protocols are necessary.  But other health problems may remain permanently, such as brain damage and weakened immune systems.  Eyesight, memory, coordination/balance, and hearing are generally the most common residual effects that often do not improve after treatment in most cases.

Molds can be found wherever there is moisture, oxygen, and something to feed on. In the fall, they grow on rotting logs and fallen leaves, especially in moist, shady areas. In gardens, they can be found in compost piles and on certain grasses and weeds. Molds grow in our homes in moist warm areas like damp basements, closets, and bathrooms, even after the moisture has dried up. Also, molds can grow in places where fresh food is stored, refrigerator drip trays, house plants, humidifiers, garbage pails, mattresses, upholstered furniture, or foam rubber pillows. The worst place that molds can grow, however, is inside wall cavities and flooring of our homes, wherever there may be cellulose materials they can feed on, such as wood, ceiling tiles, or plasterboard, even if they are not visible, and they have sustained water damage at one time or another. This is very common if there has been a plumbing leak or an inadequate roof.  Actually, any type of water damage can cause a mold problem.  Mold and cellulose eating insects are often partners in crime in water damaged portions of your home. Due to similar conditions required for each to thrive, the presence of one may indicate the other.

Mold also needs an organic source of food. People might be confused as mold can grow on glass, tile, stainless steel, cookware, etc., but it is generally feeding off of some organic source deposited on this material (oils, film, dirt, skin cells, etc.). The fiberglass insulation which some assume that mold does not grow on their product which is a fairly true statement, however, it grows on the organic debris that become trapped in these products. Mold also grows on things such as wood, fabric, leather, gypsum, fiberboard, drywall, stucco, and many insulation fibrous materials. All molds require some form of moisture to grow however, like temperature, the amount of moisture varies for different species. Some are xerophillic (colonize under very dry conditions) some are xerotolerant (colonize under a wide range of moisture levels) and some are hydrophilic (colonize at high moisture levels). It does not have to be a leak. . . Humidity or moisture content of the substrate can often be sufficient (relative humidity 50% start becoming problematic in many indoor cases). It can spread very easily through any HVAC system.

Sick buildings are one of the major causes of fungal illness, primarily mycotoxicosis or systemic fungal disease, in industrialized nations today.  The United States is the least developed in fungal illness research and assistament to the community due to the high costs and fear of reprisals, so sadly, most American physicians have little or no education in treating this health crisis.  The average American physician knows only how to identify a mold hyphae under a microscope, at best. due to the fact that the pharmaceutical industry funds the medical schools.  Mycotoxicosis, often mistakenly called “Toxic Mold Syndrome” out of ignorance, has reached epidemic proportions at a national level in the United States due to defective construction, lack of regular maintenance, shoddy and inappropriate building materials, ignorance, and lack of government  involvement; all or in part due to the high costs of standard and substandard remediation.

This illness has been so misunderstood, some who profit from the misfortunes of these poor individuals even go so low as to claim that there is no evidence to back up the fact that mold can cause permanent neurological, psychological, immunological and pathological damage, despite the medical data from well respected physicians all over the world.

 

Excerpts from MOLD HELP – please take time to read the whole article if you or someone you know is suffering from chronic coughing, sneezing or any of the symptoms listed below:

3 Comments

  1. 3-4-2017

    We had mold from a water leak that took Farmers 14 months to deal with,
    husband ended up in hospital
    and the battle we had to get our house fixed lasted well over 2 years.
    Prayers to your family.We understand the dangers.
    Don and Sandy Eubank

  2. 3-4-2017

    I’m so sorry Sandy! I’ve learned that this is NOTHING to mess with – and over the last 16 months – I can not believe the number of people I have spoken to that coughing/sneezing/congestion has simply been designated as asthma or bronchitis or rhinutitus and just covered up with steroids! Not one doctor – even when I urged them to test me for fungal problems – ever gave one thought to what I was saying. It was so much easier to fill me up with steroids, nasal sprays, antibiotics! Well, even with what we have been able to do so far, the difference in my BREATHING is SO much better!

  3. 4-30-2017

    It’s amazing how many people have mold/fungal allergy issues and have no idea what is making them sick. Sandy, you mentioned a water leak… was it hiding in a wall somewhere in your home? maybe the plumbing or roof leak? I know in Seattle, we have so much moisture that it is tough to track down sometimes.
    So make sure if you are experiencing the listed symptoms, you get your home or business inspected for leaks and allergens ASAP, and if you have water damage, make sure it is properly handled.
    Thank you so much for this article to help sufferers understand they are not alone… or crazy!
    Ben

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *